Sunday, July 7, 2013

If you can't say anything nice....

I remember as a child hearing the saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

I have recently become more aware of how people feel it is necessary to criticize others when they don't agree.  Case in point - I love Pinterest! I have recently discovered the benefits of this little gem in planning my home school "Stuff" like organization, possible curriculum etc.  I came across a few pins where in the comment section people who obviously didn't agree with homeschooling, made comments criticizing the practice.  My first thought was - why are you commenting?  This is a pin clearly labeled for "home school" so why are you even looking at it and in looking at it, why do you feel it is necessary to criticize?

I see this also a lot on Facebook - I have a FB account because it allows me to stay in touch with people that I just don't get to see very often if at all.  Some of my friends decide to use it as a platform for their opinions - whatever floats your boat!  I choose not to do this, but it amazes me how often someone will post about something they believe in and how others have the audacity to tell them they are wrong!  If you don't agree, MOVE ON, SCROLL DOWN, BLOCK or UNFRIEND!  Why does there have to be a debate via Facebook for everyone else to see. I have to say that the critical comments never change the other person's mind. In fact I think it just shows the commenter's ignorance to the fact that not everyone has to agree with you. I have friends who have different perspectives on things, and no I may not agree with them, but that doesn't mean I have the right to disrespect them on their own page.  It may mean that I pray for them a little more but not disrespect them.

Just a thought: If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment